How to Freeze a Homemade Pie
We get this question all the time: “Can I freeze a homemade pie?”
The answer is Yes! Homemade pies freeze beautifully. Whether you want to bake your pies in advance for a major holiday or family event or you just want save some for later follow this method and you will be thrilled with the results.
Here at Pie Lady & Son we bake our pies the same way you would at home using the same ingredients so if you have one of our pies and are looking to freeze it just go ahead and use this method .
- Bake your pie and make sure it is completely cooled before moving on to the next step. Cooling pies for a full 8 hours works best in our experience.
- Wrap you pie completely in plastic wrap or seal it in an airtight freezer bag.
- Place your pie in the freezer. Freezing a pie thoroughly takes longer that you might think. In most residential freezers it will take up to 24 hours for a pie to freeze completely.
Estimates vary a bit on how long pies will last in the freezer but from our experience this is what we recommend. These estimated are on the conservative side so if it’s in there a little longer don’t go throwing it away.
- Frozen fruit pies are best if served within 6 months.
- Frozen custard based pies are best if served within 3 months.
Defrost and Serve
There are two different methods for defrosting and serving frozen homemade pies. Both work well, but the first one seems a little more convenient to us so it’s the one we use most often.
Defrosting Method #1
- Pre-heat your oven to 300º.
- Remove pie from freezer and unwrap it.
- Brush off any frost from the top of the pie.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and put it in the oven.
- Baking times: 5″ Pie:15-30 min. 7″Pie: 30-50 min. 10″ Pie 40-70 min.
- Baking times will vary from one oven to another. To check if your pie is ready insert a knife in the center, remove and check the temperature of the knife tip with your finger. Once it is warm your pie is ready.
- Cool & serve.
Defrosting Method #2
- Remove pie from freezer at least 5–6 hours before serving.
- Defrost pie with plastic wrap still on it for 4–5 hours or until it reaches room temperature. This will allow the condensation to form on the outside of the plastic wrap instead of on your crust.
- Unwrap your pie and place it on a baking sheet.
- Heat pie in oven at 300º for ½ Hour. This applies to any size when using this method.
- Cool & serve.